"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life"
Robert Louis Stevenson

September 17, 2012

Paint Car Tracks on Paper Roads

Paint car tracks on paper roads

Keeping my little boys entertained and motivated to try different things is one of my top priorities these days.  I have made a commitment to myself to expose them to creative play by introducing different materials and ideas that encourage them to imagine, dream, and play together.  I know they are still a little young to do all the above but my idea is to slowly build it up.

On Monday after searching for toddler play ideas I came across some different ways to play with paint....with cars!  Well I don't how that never occurred to me but once I saw it I thought to take it a step further and make a road out scrap paper to let the cars drive around.  This was really easy to do and it kept my boys entertained for about 30 minutes (which is a long time for a soon to be 3 year old and a 15 month old).

To make the road I took about 20 sheets of scrap paper.  I put them together with tape on the back. and then took it outside and, on the blank side, I drew lines with a black marker to make two lanes.  I then took 3 or 4 different paint colors in paper plates and placed them (with tape underneath) on different spots along the road.  I told the kids that the paint was gas and that the cars could stop at any of the gas stations to fill up while continuing on their way.  They loved it.

The best  part for me was that cleanup was so easy.  For the road and gas stations it was just a matter of picking it up and throwing it into the recycle bin.  For the cars cleanup I decided that the best was to take them to the car wash...basically I fill out my sink with soap and water and the kids and I gave the cars a good scrub.  Which preschooler doesn't enjoy playing with soap, bubbles and water? My oldest really enjoyed it, the little one felt like  doing something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment