"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life"
Robert Louis Stevenson

September 25, 2012

Organizing re-usable Plastic Bags

Plastic bag folding; Origami
In Europe (at least most of Western Europe) free bags are not available for grocery shopping.  About 6 or 7 years ago,  grocery stores stopped providing free plastic bags for packing groceries and started offering either large strong plastic bags for a fee or encouraging totes in an effort to cut the amount of plastic bags ending in landfills and boosting the re-use of purchased plastic bags. 

Before plastic bags had to be purchased, I used  to use the free bags on the bathroom trashcans, which was my own way of re-using so I never had many bags laying around.  After the grocery chains changed their approach to free bags I adapted myself by purchasing the sturdy plastic bags about once per year.  The negative side is that I have too many bags now laying around and taking space.   So I decided it was time to learn to fold them and keep them organized to take back some much needed space.

To fold the large bags, I used a simple method I found on Origami Spirit blog (http://www.origamispirit.com/2012/01/how-to-fold-plastic-bags-for-easy-storage-and-travel/#respond), and I put all the small bags in an empty Kleenex box.  I had seen this idea before but I can't really remember were.

Check out my before and after pictures.  What a difference!  and it took less than 30 minutes. 

BEFORE
AFTER
AFTER


1 comment:

  1. Wow, the folding definitely makes a difference! Every time I open our pantry, plastic bags fall out. =) So glad you could use the social media icons for your website, they look good!
    www.TheLatestFind.com

    ReplyDelete