"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life"
Robert Louis Stevenson

July 16, 2012

Hortencias (Hydrangeas) and the Watering Can

I came back to Brussels last week with mom who travelled back with me to help with the kids and the 11 hour flight. 

My first impression is how much work the house needed after 5 weeks of me being away, specially the garden.  However, the good part was that my Hortencias (or Hydrangeas as they are more commonly known in other parts of the world) were in full bloom and in all colors ranging from pink to turquoise, and purple to blue.  I love the look they give to the garden and they are the easiest to care for! 

Anyways back to my mom, you know how it is always nice to have a new perspective on an area of the house you are not quite happy about?  Well I have been stuck on this watering can which I bought sometime ago in a second hand market here in Brussels.   When I boughted I love the feel of it and I thought it would give a nice look to the kitchen, but I have been struggling in finding a way to make a statement with it.  So I took advantage of the "new perspective" situation and ask mom to have a look and see if she could think of something.  And she did. 
 

Here is what you need to create something similar:
-Hortencias,
-Dried willow branches
-Ribbon
-Statement vase, or any sort of container that has a nice rustic/old feel to it.









To put it together:

Cut all the leafs out of the hortencias so that the flowers are just above the edge of the container. Cut the willow branches about 15 cm (6 inches) higher than the top of the hortencias.  Arrange 3 or 4 Hortencias stems aternating with the willow branches.  Add some ribbon onto the vase to give it a finished look.






I loved it, what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment